Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Are Kettlebells The Answer To My Fitness Prayers?

I read an article today that using a kettlebell burns 300 calories in just 15 minutes.  It went on to say that this is more than you would burn in 30 minutes riding a bike... which made me quickly realize that when I was getting into riding my stationary bike every night before I fell and hurt my foot I must've been riding it much too slowly because it was more like 45ish minutes before I got to 300 calories.. Hmpf.  Does it still count if you don't ride as hard but you stay on longer?  Idk... Probably not as much....

I'm hoping that I can get back on the bike soon (no pun intended!) and am really hoping that the ortho will tell me I can throw this stinky boot out for good after my appointment next week, but for now, this article got me thinking.

When I had started working out before the fall I was doing Zumba for Wii, Step Walking on Wii Fit, and riding the stationary bike.  All of these things required the use of both legs, so I guess I somehow convinced myself that I really couldn't do any sort of working out until my leg healed.  There was always a little bug nagging in my ear telling me there were things I could do with my arms, or I could try modifying some workouts just using my right leg, but I pretty much squashed that bug every time he buzzed through.

But the kettlebell article stuck with me.  I'd always kind of been interested in them, but they're pretty expensive and I never talked myself into buying one.  But today, thanks to a great "Living Social" deal, (one of my daily email coupons!) I bought a $20 Amazon.com gift card for $10.  Yay, savings!  After reading about the kettlebells I used that little gift certificate tonight and ordered the Bob Harper kettlebell training DVD with 15 lb kettlebell and applied my $10 savings so I got a good deal!  I should get it in 3 or 4 days!

I need to Live My Best Life NOW not in 3 or 4 days, though, so I grudgingly decided it was time to get the regular old hand weights out and worked out with those for about 45 minutes.  Nothing aerobic, just strength training.  I'm going to work with those until I get my kettlebell (and human Bob Harper DVD fix!  He's just a cartoon in my Biggest Loser for Wii game!) and get this workout thing moving!  :)  I'll let you know what I think of the DVD and if Bob kicks my butt the way he does for people on the Biggest Loser! 

No comments:

Post a Comment