Sunday, January 23, 2011

I May Look Silly... But I'm One Step Closer To Walking!

This post is from Thursday night 1/21/11.  Blogger has been hating me and hasn't let me post anything for 2 days.  :(

So it just occurred to me that in 2 days I'm taking the girls to see the Disney Princesses on Ice show and I'm still on crutches.  I'm not sure how I'm going to pull this off.  The girls, especially Olivia, tends to be a runner.  If she sees something that's exciting to her, she's off.  And Ava tends to follow.  So I make it a pretty strict rule that they HAVE to hold my hand if we're in a parking lot or in a crowded area.  But that's not going to be possible with crutches.

Which is one of the reasons I decided to get a cane today.  I've been thinking about trying to make the switch to a cane for a few days and I figured now I really need to do it because I'm going to need to have at least one free hand for child wrangling on Saturday. 

Olivia had yet another early release due to snow today (how many days until summer???) so after picking her up I ventured out to do a couple of errands pretty much for the first time on my own since the fall.  Not just on my own actually, on my own with one of the kids.  First stop: CVS.  I am now the proud owner of a very fancy blue cane with red and purple flowers on it (Olivia's choice... she begged me!  LOL). 

Next stop: Target.  Walking.  Without crutches.  With the boot.  And the cane.  Shortly after we started through the store I put the cane in the cart and used the cart as support because I couldn't maneuver both.  I only needed to get a few things, but we had to take it so slowly I ended up spending over $100 because I had so much time to notice every single thing we walked by!  Also, it took like an hour to get out and I was pretty much in excruciating pain by the time we got to the exit doors.  But, I made it!

Today the best thing I did for myself, working on My Best Life, was to work a little on the rehab of my foot.  It's nearly impossible to be a mom on crutches and it's really getting frustrating not to be able to just run to the grocery store when I need to or even go upstairs and soothe the baby.  So pain or no pain it's got to be done!  So I went home, took some pain meds, and am gearing up for more cane walking tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment